10 August 2017

D365 | refresh server cache

If you need to flush the cache of your AX 7 alias D365 environment you can execute a runable class


Beside that you could also use flush AOD:


28 July 2017

D365EE | This page can't be displayed

While importing code into my local environment I was facing a strange behavior. All models build without errors. But when trying to open AX in the browser I got the message "This page can't be displayed"
So I checked the IIS, the services,... did an iisreset, but nothing changed.

After some checks in VisualStudio I called "synchronize database" and found the root cause for this issue. The DB sync threw an error that told me that there is a form extension with the same name in two different models.
And indeed that was the issue. I renamed one of the extensions build the modules and could open AX again. Table sync was working as well,

What I've learned from this is that the compiler is not checking if form extensions with the same name exist in different models. So always check that manually!
And what I still don't understand is why a synchronize database is throwing an error in form extensions. Shouldn't it focus on tables and table extensions?

04 July 2017

Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition - On Premise Informations

Here are all the important informations regarding the on premise installation of D 365


The System requirements are very interresting :)

After you have all the servers and requirements in place go ahaed with this: Set up and deploy on-premises environments.

Just to find out which Features not implemented in on-premises deployments.

So it still looks like cloud first ;)

03 July 2017

Hey Microsoft why not calling it AX?

I just started a D365 july update and as promissed by Microsoft they changed the name again.

But honestly: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise Edition is not as short as it could be.
Please rename it back to AX it was so easy and short :)

14 June 2017

D365EE | The menu item with name sysloadstartpage could not be opened

After a full build with no errors I was not able to log onto the build environment. It displayed the message:

The menu item with name sysloadstartpage could not be opened.

normally you can get rid of this message with a full database sync. In my case it required a build of the ApplicationSuite and a database syncronization. That is really strange because the build process should already have build the packages.

07 April 2017

D365 | Instrall Platform Update 5 on local DEV VM

Lately I managed to install platform update 5 in my development machine. It was easier than platform update 4. Here are the steps to follow
You don't need to change the config files anymore :)

  • Download platform update 5 from LCS (for details see the PU4 post)
  • Unblock the zip and extract it
  • Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder
    • AXUpdateInstaller.exe generate -runbookid="OneBoxDev" -topologyfile="DefaultTopologyData.xml" -servicemodelfile="DefaultServiceModelData.xml" -runbookfile="OneBoxDev-runbook.xml" 
    • AXUpdateInstaller.exe import -runbookfile=OneBoxDev-runbook.xml
    • AXUpdateInstaller.exe execute -runbookid=OneBoxDev
  • If the installations stops at step 5 - restart the server and continue
    • AXUpdateInstaller.exe execute -runbookid=OneBoxDev -rerunstep=5
  • rebuild your application
  • update VS extensions (for details see the PU4 post)
    • from to
  • Regenerate form adaptor models 
    • cd C:\AOSService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin • xppfagen.exe -metadata=C:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory -model="ApplicationPlatformFormAdaptor" -xmllog="c:\temp\log1.xml" 
    • xppfagen.exe -metadata=C:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory -model="ApplicationFoundationFormAdaptor" -xmllog="c:\temp\log2.xml"
    • xppfagen.exe -metadata=C:\AosService\PackagesLocalDirectory -model="DirectoryFormAdaptor" -xmllog="c:\temp\log3.xml"
finally you will see the new version in the about page: Update5 (7.0.4475.16165)

And all NoYes controls look pretty now

03 April 2017

D365fO | change view edit mode of a form

To switch between view and edit mode of an AX form we used element.task() in AX 2012 (for details see: this post). In AX 7 alias D365 for Operations this is also possible, but the code looks different:

FormRun formRun = sender;
FormRunViewEditModeHelper viewEditModeHelper = formRun.viewEditModeHelper();